Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Nasi Lemak with Fish Sambal

Both my sons are away in boarding school since late January. They are the big eaters so not having them around really affects my cooking. Previously, I used to come out with menus for the whole week but now I just think at that instance and cook what comes to my mind. Last night is no different. I just cooked Nasi Lemak with Fish Sambal and a simple stir fry long beans to go along with it. This recipe serves 2.

NASI LEMAK

1+1/2 cups rice

2 cups water

1/4 cup think coconut milk

2 tbs oil

1 tsp ginger paste

1 tsp garlic paste

a pinch of fenugreek seeds (halba)

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Heat oil and fry the garlic and ginger paste till fragrant. Add fenugreek seeds. Off flame. Rinse rice in pot and pour in water, coconut milk and the fried items. Add salt and sugar. Cook as normal.

FISH SAMBAL

2 Indian Mackarel (ikan kembung) - fried

1 onion - pound

1 lemon grass (serai) - bruised

1 tsp ginger paste

4 tbs chilli paste

1/2 tsp tamarind paste

1 tbs thick coconut milk 1/2 cup water salt and sugars

Heat oil. Add in chilli paste, pounded onion and lemon grass. Fry till fragrant and oil emerged. Add water, tamarind paste and coconut milk. Add sugar and salt to taste. Let it boil till gravy thickens and add fish.

*If you had noticed, I use ginger and garlic paste in most of my cooking because I have 1 big jar each which I had blended and keep refrigarated. I did the same for the chilli.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You found me and now I have found you! You are such a sweetheart to write those words in my blog. Honestly, when I write, it never occured to me that anyone would read. I have settled to the fact that the visitors only drop by to look at the cakes. And my cakes are nothing to shout about, there are others like Kak mis, Nina, Yatt, ect who by far excell in this field. I am just a passerby, baking to meet ends meet at one point of time. Now, the kids are all grown up and it's time to let them go bit by bit until I take a full position. I will be leaving this passion of mine soon, but it's good to know there are always others to continue the legacy of baking and decorating, well someone like you.

Thanks for putting that smile on my face Nora, now, I can't seem to wipe it off.

Ps. I named a fotopage friend "Beauty and feast" once called kak MUna. I still refer to her as that. What a coincidence.

Nora Ariff said...

really wiz..u r talented n full of creativity..be it in words or ur baking. im always amazed at ur creations n ur expression of words..u does leave an impact on me and with these words now let that smile stays on for the rest of the week ya ;)

i've been toying with the blog name for quite awhile..hoping that no one wud think of that..but how can assume that u won't ya..lol