Thursday, March 6, 2008

Things that make me go..mmmmm

Last Friday on my way back, bumped into a friend in the rest room (yes of all places in the office). She was carrying a box full of murunggai..I just go "Murunggai!!!" The excitement is due to the fact that it's not easy to get this in KL and the ones in the hypermarkets and pasar malam near my home look almost inedible already.

So, when she offered me some, I just grabbed and went home happily (nearly skipping) knowing how good it is to cook with ikan kering. Ok, ok, I know I'm on diet, but a bit won't do me any harm would it?? It's not like I'm going to splurge the whole pot :P

In case some are wondering how does murunggai looks like…

Is there any other name to it?

The curry in all it's glory..

Gulai Ikan Kering

Salted Kurau fish bones

1 tomato

1 green chilli

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp cumin powder

2 tsp criander powder

1 tbs garlic paste

1 tbs ginger paste

1/2 cup coconut milk - thick

1 cup coconut milk - light

1 lemon grass - smash

1 tbs tumeric powder

1 tbs fish curry powder

1 onion - sliced

3 cloves garlic - cut each into 2

curry leaves

halba campur

murungai

potato

carrot

and any other vegetables of choice ie long beans, brinjal etc

Boil all vegetables till cook in about 1 litre of water. Add salted fish. Once vegetables are cook, pour thick coconut milk. Add more water based on the thickness of curry that you would like. Gulai ikan kering tend to be more watery then fresh fish curry. Set aside.

Heat oil and fry curry leaves, halba campur, onion, lemon grass and garlic. Once brown, add all the powder's spices. Pour the light coconut milk. Once oil splatters, transfer this into the pot of boiled vegetables. Let boil and off flame.

I also made Sweet Sour Prawns Kak Liza's

style but she did hers with Crab and I’ve also added 1 tbs of meat curry powder to it. This is a must try.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nora!!! Murunggai, wow, I remember I had lots when I was growing up. I loved to suck on it and pulling all the seeds inside, sheer pleasure. I am such a vege fan to the extent my hsbd calls me kambing ha ha ha. Throw me any greens and just watch me ratah them raw or cooked. Where's the recipe? Not that I wanna cook but if I decided to, then I know where to source out for it.

FooDcrazEE said...

ini lar pic yang cun and delish. . . . .keep up the good work

Maya Yunos said...

I believe tht is known as "batang keloh" among E malays. Indeed its yummy! It taste great in Dhals too :)

Anonymous said...

wiz, some simple things do bring back good ol memories kan. I would grit in between my teeth and pull the husk out. i thought no one is interested in the recipe ;P would be very glad to post it dear..tungguuuu..

foodcrazee, tq (blush)

maya, i've never heard of that name before. learned something new today..oh yes, i did dhal the next day..hehe

Jun said...

nora..hmm, murunggai k nama dia? hehe..masa kecik2 dulu pernah mkn..la ni x ingat dh rasa dia..eh, kat pasar kat s.alam ni bese nampak...kna mai s.alam la kalu nak beli..ekeke

Anonymous said...

jun, kalo org penang mmg panggil murunggai..daun dier pn sedap buat masak lemak..stkt sekali sekala bleh aar makan..tk elok makan selalu..angin..