Thursday, June 5, 2008

Taukua Rendang

Last Friday when my hubby went to Penang for work matters, my kids and I didn't follow because we already went the week earlier for my nephew's nikah and we are going again this weekend for the wedding reception.

My hubby went toPenang Road on his own and one of his fav stop is the jeruk stall in Chowrasta Market where they sell all kinds of varieties in bulk. His next stop is surely the Taukua Rendang stall next to the market. What cheap good food to pair along with the bestest Ais Nyok Campur. This Ais Nyok Campur is so fragrant. Oh yes, the drain does smells too but what the heck..lol If you are a Penangite you'll know what I mean. Penangites' residing in other states will always come back to this stall. Parking would be very hard to get especially during the school holidays. Actually I don't know how the name comes up to just being Taukua Rendang when actually you also have Cucur Udang with it as a set.

So when my hubby called up telling he was there, I'm so restless at home. Check my fridge and I have kucai, taugeh and prawns. So I had my Taukua Rendang too at home away from home.

It's just a normal cucur udang paired up with fried tahu with cucumber by the side. Dip in a sweet potato sauce garnished with peanuts and sesame seed.

I don't have cucumber so it was just the cucur udang with tahu. Of course la I'm more generous with the kucai and taugeh compared to the mamak's..hehehe

Batter for the cucur is so easy peasy to make. You just need wheat flour mix with water and add kucai and bean sprouts. A pinch of salt and that's about it. Scoop with a spoon into hot oil and put a prawn on top. Press a bit. You don't really want it to be round in shape. Not like the cucur udang in pasar malam where it puffed up like Humpty Dumpty. It's just about 1.5cm think. As for the sauce, I just boil half of 1 sweet potato and add 1/2 tsp of tamarind paste and salt/sugar. Add cornflour mix with a bit of water for extra thickness. You can anytime beat that stall I'm telling you.

No comments: